So you wanna survive Mercury in retrograde? Okay, start laughing.
Seriously, you're gonna have to start laughing- at yourself, at the world, at the general ridiculousness of how messy everything is. The secret to Mercury Rx is laughter- the ability to bend with the wind rather than break from how unpredictable things seem to be getting (seriously though, I mostly watch comedies during ☿ Rx periods).
Of course, laughter and depth are not exclusive. Mercury in retrograde asks you to go deeper- it's like walking in moonlight day and night. You cannot rely on what you see, you can't even be sure the path before you is true; you've just got to trust the knowledge you already have inside- as one would use the stars to navigate towards true north. And yes, that can be as beautiful as it sounds.
I did my best to combine these two ideas, laughter and depth, in the layout of this spread. Try this spread out with the intention of both being told what you already knew and hold space to be surprised as well. Remember to laugh, even when you feel a twinge when those cards show up- it helps release the tension that could too easily build up. The card positions are phrased both as names for card positions and general guidelines for thriving (yes, thriving) through Mercury in retrograde.
Alright, let's lay it out:
- Message from Mercury the Magician. This is the foundation of this spread- and an intentionally shaky one at that because after all, it's Mercury Rx. Decide for yourself whether you'll be pulling this one face up or drawn from the deck as usual.
- Connect with this inner truth. Mercury Rx is all about going inward and paying attention to how your intuition manifests externally. You're assuming that everything in the external world is liable to shift at any time but what won't shift lies within you. Your truth is the one immutable object in this time. Keep it in sight at all times.
- Divert energy from this space. Might not be the time to put 100% of your time and energy here.
- Invest energy into this space. This might bear taking a second look at while we work through Mercury's retrograde.
- And here comes the twist! Whether or not you see it coming, you will experience a surprise or two. This, and the next two cards, prepare you for the unexpected, unfamiliar, and uncomfortable.
- Deviate from the beaten path. It's easier to manage chaos if you're not so comfortable with things as they are. This isn't all doom and gloom, by the way. This is also the space to have fun. Do something spontaneous and just because!
- You'll need a backup plan. Basic Mercury Rx strategy. In practical terms- are you backing up your files, planning on extra time to get to appointments, feasibly up on all your updates (up to and including car, home, and self-maintenance)?
- Just one more thing. There's always more to learn. This can come up as a warning, blessing, or affirmation.
- Your rebirth as The Magician. And here is the real lesson of Mercury in Retrograde. All this season is here for is to move you toward intimate knowledge of the resources around you, and how to harness them as you conjure your magic in this world.
And look out for Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Pluto working their own retrograde magic as well.
Alright off you go. Let's rock this retrograde season.
Or at least survive it best we can. I won't lie to you. These first few days have been tough. Venus has been doing me in as my beloved ruling planet. And even with all this, we still have our magic, our truth, and each other.
I trust that absolutely.